This simple Low Carb High Fat Mayonnaise recipe is great with canned salmon or over a salad.
For those of you who have not experienced the creamy goodness that is homemade mayo, you are missing out! It’s light, fluffy, and the flavor is very different from store-bought mayonnaise. It’s more alive, less heavy, and less oily. Once you’ve tried it, you’ll never go back.
When you are on a ketogenic diet, mayo is a helpful way to eat more fat. It has about 10 grams of fat per tablespoon and when you make it yourself you can avoid the sugar and vegetable oils that are commonly added to store brands.
I am all for buying store products when it’s convenient because not everyone has the time to make everything from scratch! However, in the case of keto mayonnaise, the paleo mayo options on the market just do not compare. There are many great variations you can make of Low Carb High Fat Mayonnaise, but this is our favorite.
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tbsp ghee, melted to a liquid but not hot
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 2 large egg yolks, room temp
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 drops liquid stevia
- Note: Raw eggs pose a small risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. Use at your own discretion. You should use only fresh eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell. Most eggs sold in the U.S. are pasteurized. You can pasteurize eggs at home, by placing the eggs in a pot of water on the stove, turning on the heat, and bringing the water up to 140 degrees F, checking the temperature with a digital thermometer.
- Place all the ingredients except the oil and ghee into your blender or food processor and turn it on for a few seconds to mix
- Very carefully and very slowly, with the machine running, begin to add your oil and melted ghee, a little bit at a time, until the mixture begins to thicken and emulsify, about 2 minutes
- Adjust seasoning as needed
- The mayo can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days
Description: Low Carb High Fat Mayonnaise